Joe Mathews, who spoke at our Belote Lecture on Journalism in the Era of Fake News in January, does an annual “California Office Pool” on Fox & Hounds. He gives the background on it here, where you can also find the questions and his picks for what is now the 10th Fox & Hounds California Office Pool.
Joe says to “clip n’ save (or bookmark and save)” you picks, but I think it would be more fun to post my predictions here. That way if I get all of them right, no one can accuse me of changing my answers. I won’t repost Joe’s questions, you can go to his post on Fox & Hounds to see those, just my answers to them. Feel free to leave your picks in the comments section below.
- 1 trip to California
- Donald Trump will still be President
- Gavin Newsom’s ambitious but rocky governorship
- Kamala Harris; B. Eric Garcetti; C. Tom Steyer; D. Eric Swalwell; and G. Michael Avenatti
- Huge new investment in early childhood education
- True, PG&E will file for bankruptcy in 2019.
- False, Uber will remain private.
- True, Apple will still be the biggest company to call California home
- Senator Kamala Harris will be in the top three in the Iowa polls and considered a major contender
- A Star is Born will win Best Picture (this is pure guesswork, I have a 1 ½ year child at home and have not gone out to see a movie since Lady Bird)
- status quo with high-speed rail
- Still stuck in court
- The L.A. Rams will win the Super Bowl (and Aaron Donald will win the MVP)
- 2-9 lawsuits